Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Just keep writing (blog #3)



The dreaded first draft of a paper was hardest step for me. Just thinking of putting pen to paper with no concerns regarding spelling, grammar, or context I found to be uncomfortable. Not because I was a good writer but because it is one more step in an already tedious process. The first time I tried it I spent more time correcting than I did writing. I was missing the point entirely. As time went on, it almost became fun, a kind of escape. I had done a lot of journaling but even those were short and to the point. With the first drafts however, I could just write as long as it was loosely based on the subject, or maybe not. Now, having done it a few times, I find it to be an essential step to my final draft. What I believed to be an extra time consuming step has turned out to be a time saving step. It allows me to take out the garbage ahead of time as oppose to on the fly. I’m still not great at it my eye still gets drawn to that obvious mistake. I still have to remind myself that it helps and to just keep writing. Maybe I should have done one for this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment